Learn to sew on Easter! We have the perfect project for you, simple and quick to do. A beautiful Easter sensory book to sew with the sweet Easter Book panel and our step-by-step video tutorial. A 100% cotton poplin panel where eggs, chickens, and Easter bunnies are some stars of this interactive cloth book for your baby. An original and different way to celebrate these days. Choose an educational toy, with which your little one enjoys and learns, and that is also made by you with all your love, what more could you ask for?
Easter sensory book
The so-called sensory books or quiet books have many advantages and benefits for your little one. They help you explore and discover the world thanks to its textures, colors, and noises.
With the Easter Book panel from Katia Fabrics, she manages to create a fun fabric book with manipulative and multisensory activities. With pockets, Velcro, buttons, fabrics, sounds, and various moving parts for your little one to manipulate. This will strengthen their autonomy and fine motor skills. In addition, it is soft and easy to transport to take it wherever you want easily.
To make this Easter sensory book, we have used the Easter Book Panel and some extra materials:
- Loose wadding for filling the figures.
- Polyester wadding from a roll: 80 g/m2 for the book pages: 60 cm (23 5/8”) long x 90 cm (35 3/8”) wide.
- Velcro: 3/4″ (2 cm) wide x 40 cm (15 3/4″) long for the figures and the book pages.
- Book and pocket: 3/8” (1 cm), figures: 1/4″ (7 mm)
Cut out the book pages along the black lines, the figures, the pocket, and the strip to tie the book closed.
Making the book
1. Sew the pocket: make a double hem along the upper edge by turning 3/8” (1 cm) inwards twice. Topstitch in place. Iron the seams inwards and sew the pocket in the form of a basket for the book cover.
2. Make the Velcro strip close the book: Sew the hard part of the Velcro onto the strip, match the right sides of the strip together and sew the side and the upper edge where the Velcro is. Turn out to the right side through the lower edge of the strip. Attach the strip to the book cover, in the position indicated by the notches, with the Velcro facing upwards and facing the inside of the page. Sew the soft part of the Velcro in the position marked on the back cover of the book, so it can be closed.
3. Sew the soft part of the Velcro onto the backs of the figures, and sew the hard part of the Velcro onto the book pages.
4. Cut 2 rectangles of wadding for pages A and C. Then, sew them onto the wrong side of each page around the edges. Place the pages together with the right sides facing each other. And in the same direction, so the figures are standing. Sew rectangle A with rectangle B, and rectangle C with the rectangle, D: leaving an opening approximately 3 7/8” (10 cm) wide to turn each page out to the right side. Trim the seam corners a little to reduce any excess bulk. Then turn the pages out to the right side. Sew the opening closed on the machine or by hand.
Mount the book
5. Mount the book: make sure the page numbers are in the correct order. Join and secure the pages in place with a vertical row of stitching in the center of the pages.
6. Match the front and back of each figure together, with the right sides facing. Then sew around the edges, leaving an opening approximately 1 5/8” (4 cm) wide to turn each figure out to the right side. Turn the figures out o the right side, fill with the loose wadding, and sew the openings closed on the machine or by hand.