Do you know how to care for wool hand knit garments? We know too well how much time and effort you put into making your hand knitted garments. What a joy when you’ve finally finished off the last threads and can show off the results with pride! Because we want the satisfaction of this moment to last longer, here are 5 tips to care for wool hand knit garments. Learn these useful tricks to wash, dry and iron your knitwear!
How to care for wool knits
1. Wool is a flexible resilient natural fibre, but requires some care to preserve its softness and appearance. Therefore, it should not be washed at high temperatures or with chlorine-based products.
2. When caring of your most delicate wool hand knit garments, we recommend you always hand wash them. Although you can also clean them in the machine (if indicated by the label of the yarn) using a gentle cycle of the washing machine and without spinning.
3. If you decide to wash by hand don’t exceed a temperature of 30º and use a special wool detergent, without leaving it to soak! Squeeze gently, rinse a few times in warm water and then in cold water.
4. To dry your woolen garments, drain without twisting and leave to dry flat on a horizontal surface. Why? To make sure that the weight of the wet wool doesn’t stretch or misshape the garment.
5. Finally, when it comes to ironing, it’s important that the iron isn’t too hot. Use a thin cloth to prevent direct contact between the garment and the iron. In this way, you avoide the appearance of iron marks and shiny patches.
We hope that you’ll put these tips on washing, drying and ironing into good use! You’ll see how your woolen hand knit garments will look their best for a long time to come.