How to make an A-line skirt for this fall using our free pattern
It’s time to welcome the month of October in style! If you want to learn how to make this A-line skirt for this fall, we recommend watching the video tutorial that comes with the free sewing pattern by Andrea @andreacondes_design. In this post, Andrea shows you how to make a midi A-line skirt with pockets. If you prefer, it also comes with a short skirt option. You’ll see it’s a versatile, elegant, and super flattering skirt for all body types. It’s also very simple to sew with our cotton fabrics: Viyela and micro-corduroy.
Andrea, who’s been passionate about fashion since a young age, has put together these step-by-step instructions. She started sewing dresses for her dolls until her sister Celia was born, who became her official model. Now, Andrea shares her wonderful designs and sewing patterns on her Instagram and website.
How to make an A-line skirt with @andreacondes_design
To make this skirt, you need the following materials and sewing tools:
- Fabric by Katia Fabrics, preferably a cotton fabric. Viyela for the long skirt and micro-corduroy for the short skirt
- Free sewing pattern: Jade skirt by @andreacondes_design
- 20-25-cm invisible zipper
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Tape measure
Make this skirt in 10 steps
- First, print and assemble the pattern following the diagram in the instructions.
- Cut the skirt pieces as shown in the video and the diagram in the instructions. In total, you should have: 1 front skirt piece, 1 front facing, 2 back pieces, 2 back facings and 4 pockets.
- Before sewing, interface all the facings. Sew the facings. To do so, place right sides facing each other to sew along the sides.
- Next, sew the 4 pockets to the sides.
- Place the skirt pieces facing each other and match up the sides. Sew along the entire edge, following the shape of the pockets.
- Sew the invisible zipper. Before sewing it, sew the back that doesn’t have the zipper with a 2-cm seam allowance.
- Next, sew the facing, placing right sides facing each other and sewing along the entire edge of the skirt.
- Turn the facing inward and sew it down so that it doesn’t stick out.
- Sew the skirt hem with a handkerchief hem. In the video tutorial, you can see how to do it in detail.
- Finally, iron all the seams well so that they remain flat.
Don’t forget to tag us in your photos using Katia Fabrics so that we can see your creation and share it with our community of fashionistas. We’re sure you’ll look amazing! iron
If you’re looking for more women’s sewing projects this fall, you may also be interested in:
- Textures sewing pattern magazine
- Woman digital magazine with 8 women’s sewing patterns
- Sew a women’s colorblock trend shirt: video tutorial and free pattern