Today we are going to show you how to sew a fabric bag for a pram. This is a useful and versatile sewing project that is so easy to sew using our canvas fabric: a resistant and hard wearing fabric. If you want to learn how to sew this bag using your very own hands, we recommend that you take a look at the video-tutorial and free pattern by Laura @latieta2574. Here you can learn, step-by-step, how to transform two canvas fabrics into a unique bag for your baby’s pram. Furthermore, when you no longer need to use the bag for the purpose it was originally made for, it still remains a beautiful fabric bag suitable for daily use.
A proud aunt: @latieta2574
The step-by-step instructions that we are sharing with you have been created by Laura, a proud aunt who has fallen in love with sewing thanks to the arrival of her little nephew.
One day, when the phone rings and a teary voice tells you that you are going to be an aunt and godmother, you feel fit to burst with emotion. Then, as the days pass by, you are acutely aware that there is a distance of 1.599 miles (or 2.574 km), in a straight line, in between yourself and your loved ones… As a result, it became clear to me that the moment had arrived to start to getting ready for the arrival of this little one in the best possible way. At that moment in time I was thinking about sewing things for him like garments and accessories and I bought a few pattern magazines. And that was when I really got started with sewing. Thanks to all that, I felt closer to my family.
How to sew a nursery bag for a pram @latieta2574
This sewing project to make a fabric bag is an easy-intermediate level. All the measurements are given in the video. Furthermore, the pattern has been designed so the bag can be hung and removed from the stroller handlebar with ease. In addition to the generous size of the bag, the design also includes:
- A front pocket
- Two side pockets, ideal for carrying a baby bottle, formula milk, a bottle of water or an umbrella, for example.
- Three inside pockets (one large and two small).
To make this fabric bag you need the following materials and sewing tools:
- Exterior fabric: 39 3/8” (1 m) of easy to wash, resistant and hard wearing fabric like our Lobsters Turquoise canvas fabric
- Lining fabric: 39 3/8” (1 m) of recycled canvas fabric in a matching colour to the exterior fabric
- 39 3/8” (1 m) of wadding or foam
- 1 x 15 3/4″ (40 cm) zip
- 122” (310 cm) of 1 1/8” (3 cm) wide bag tape for the straps and the pram handlebar loops
- 15 3/4″ (40 cm) of 3/4″ (2 cm) wide Velcro for the stroller handlebar loops
- 2 carabiner clips for bags and bag packs
- 2 D rings in the corresponding size to the carabiner clips
- 12 5/8” (32 cm) of 3/8” (1 cm) wide elastic for the sides of the pockets
- Sewing yarn in a colour that matches the fabric
Basic sewing tools:
Sewing the fabric nursery bag for a pram in 10 steps
Here is a guide for sewing a fabric bag for a pram in 10 steps. You also have the video-tutorial where you can see the instructions in more detail.
Cut out the pieces of the bag
- Cut out all the pieces that make up the fabric bag. You will need the following sized pieces (all the measurements are also given in the video):
- Front & back: 2 pieces of the exterior canvas: 17 3/8” x 14 1/8” (44 cm x 36 cm), 2 pieces of wadding: 17 3/8” x 14 1/8” (44 cm x 36 cm) and 2 pieces of lining: 17 3/8” x 14 1/8” (44 cm x 36 cm)
- Front pocket: 1 piece of exterior canvas: 7 7/8” x 7 7/8” (20 cm x 20 cm) and 1 piece of exterior canvas: 7 7/8” x 7 7/8” (20 cm x 20 cm)
- Base: 1 piece of exterior canvas 17 3/8” x 6 3/4” (44 cm x 17 cm) and 1 piece of lining fabric: 17 3/8” x 6 3/4” (44 cm x 17 cm)
- Sides: 1 piece of exterior canvas 14 1/8” x 6 3/4” (36 cm x 17 cm), 1 piece of wadding: 14 1/8” x 6 3/4” (36 cm x 17 cm) and 1 piece of lining fabric: 14 1/8” x 6 3/4” (36 cm x 17 cm)
- Side pocket: 1 piece of exterior canvas: 10 1/4″ x 6 3/4″ (26 cm x 17 cm) and 1 piece of lining fabric: 10 1/4″ x 6 3/4″ (26 cm x 17 cm)
- Inside pocket: 1 piece of lining fabric: 15 3/4″ x 7 7/8” (40 cm x 20 cm) and 1 piece of lining fabric: 15 3/4″ x 11 3/4” (40 cm x 30 cm)
- Zipper guard strips: 2 pieces of lining fabric: 16 1/8” x 3 1/8” (41 cm x 8 cm)
Sewing the exterior pieces of the nursery bag
- Pad the exterior pieces with the wadding or foam: to do this, work a row of stitching (and an overlock or zig-zag stitch around the edges) around the 4 sides of each exterior piece with the wadding: front, back, base and sides.
- Next, sew on the exterior front pocket (with the right sides of the fabric facing together), placing it in the centre of the exterior front piece. Sew on the straps that will be 55 1/8” (140 cm) long. Also sew the straps onto the exterior back piece.
- Sew on the side pockets (with the right sides of the fabric facing together) with the upper elastic pieces measuring 6 1/4″ (16 cm) long, and join them to the side pieces. Repeat the same step with the other side pocket.
- Join all the pieces to form the exterior bag (front, back, sides and base) with a straight machine stitch.
Sewing the lining pieces of the nursery bag for a pram
- Also, sew the inner pockets to the front and back lining pieces. Next, take all the lining pieces and sew them to the base, but leaving an opening at one side of the base to turn the bag out to the right side.
How to sew the zipper
- Without closing all the bag lining, mount the zip with the zipper guard pieces in the outer fabric. Sew the front and back lining pieces to the side lining pieces.
- Cut a strip of bag tape measuring 5 1/2″ (14 cm) long and place a D ring in the middle. Place the tape in the middle of one side of the bag. Repeat the same step at the other side of the bag. Match the exterior bag to the bag lining, with the right sides facing together, and sew around the whole contour.
- Next, turn the bag out to the right side through the opening that was left in the base of the lining and then sew the opening closed. Reinforce the seam around the whole of the upper edge. The fabric bag part in now finished.
Make the Velcro loops to hang the bag from the pram handlebar
- To finish, how to sew a nursery bag for a pram , cut 2 strips of bag tape, each one measuring 7 7/8” (20 cm) long, and sew a corresponding piece of Velcro onto each piece of tape. Attach the carabiner clips to these Velcro tapes to make two loops so you can now hang the bag on the stroller handlebar.
It’s ready! You have just finished sewing a practical fabric nursery bag for a pram. Now you can get organized and carry everything you need for your baby in the bag. Remember that you can also customize your bag with decorative details or add more inside pockets if you wish. Have fun and enjoy your new sewing project!
If you are looking for more bag sewing projects, take a look at the following, they may be of interest: