We continue to share simple and easy ideas to do these days with children at home. To decorate your home in a different way this Easter we teach you how to make these fun chickens with fabric. Hand sewing with a needle and thread helps improve fine motor skills in children. Always with the supervision of an adult, of course, we do not want those little fingers to be pricked. A craft to do as a family that they will love. It is also filled with cotton and rice to give it extra weight. You can make them in many different colors and various details such as the color and shape of the crest or the type of eyes. And if you want to go a little further, try this same technique and make a mouse, a lion or an iguana. You just have to let your imagination run wild!
We have used one of the novelties of the season, the Vichy fabric in all its colors. Combine with plain felts in different colors. To make the eyes you can choose to use buttons, paint them or embroider them.
Here we detail the materials and tools that you will need.
- Powdered pink gingham fabric
- Buttons (optional)
- Colored felt
- Thread and needle
Step by step Easter chickens
1. The first thing you should do is cut an 11 cm x 19 cm rectangle.
2. Cut a small crest, a beak, and a drop-shaped chin. Place each piece as you see in the photo.
3. Fold the piece of fabric in half and fasten with pins. Sew the two sides that have felt with backstitching or small stitching. Cut the excess from the corner and turn around.
4. It is time to sew, paint or embroider our eyes. You can stick the buttons with silicone or white glue.
5. Fill a little with filling first and then the rest with rice.
6. Fold the open side in and fasten with pins. Hand sews backstitch or small stitching.
In less than you imagine you will have these cute chickens ready. They have a triple function, they are used to play, to decorate and as sewing weights. Do you dare to do them?
We hope you put it into practice and we can see your versions using the hashtag #katiafabrics #sewingatHOME