Today we are sharing the step by step instructions so you can learn how to sew a little girl’s pinafore dress. A pattern from the Spring summer 2022 Essence sewing pattern magazine from Katia Fabrics.
This pinafore style dress is a perfect pattern if you are just starting in the world of dress making. This dress, with cross-over straps, is very easy to make. Furthermore, you can make it with any of our striped cotton fabrics: Ice Cream Stripes and Panama Stripes.
At Katia Fabrics we have a wide range of striped cotton fabrics. These woven fabrics with a cotton base have a subtle wrinkled effect created by a spongy weft thread. This makes it an ideal spring – summer fabric for dresses, tops or accessories.
We are waiting for you in the step by step video tutorial that we are going to share with you today. You can learn how to sew this simple girl’s pinafore with cross-over straps. Moreover, in this project you are also going to learn how to sew buttonholes on your sewing machine.
Get to know the striped woven fabrics
The striped woven fabrics that we are showing you today are woven fabrics made from cotton. This bestows them with an additional delicacy that makes them suitable for making clothing for all the family. Fine, thick or variable horizontal and vertical stripes… at Katia Fabrics you can find various different options so you can choose the one you like best.
Panama Stripes from Katia Fabrics
The Panama Stripes fabric is a woven fabric in different tones with a cotton base. Get out your sewing machine and make all kinds of summery clothing and accessories, like shawls and scarves, with this really original fabric.
Imagine yourself sewing this cross-over baby dress pattern for your baby. It’s waiting for you in the new spring-summer 2022 Essence sewing pattern magazine.
Ice Cream Stripes from Katia Fabrics
The Ice Cream Stripes fabric is made from 100% cotton with an original vertical stripe that will create a retro-vintage look to your sewing projects. This new fabric is an ideal choice for bags, cushions or aprons. It’s also a great way to make dresses and French style tops stand out from the crowd.
The Ice Cream Stripes fabric from Katia Fabrics is available in pink, green and blue with the central line in blue.
How to make a little girl’s pinafore dress step by step
- Spring-Summer 2022 Essence sewing pattern magazine
- Size Little Pinafore Dress sewing pattern (from 12 months to 4 years)
- Semi-transparent pattern paper
- Ice Cream Stripes fabric in col. lime
- 2 buttons: size 10 mm
- 15 mm wide herringbone tape: approximate measurements for each strap: 12-18 months: 14 5/8” (37 cm) / 18-24 months 15 3/8” (39 cm) / 2-3 years 16 1/8” (41 cm) / 3-4 years 16 7/8” (43 cm)
- 15 mm wide elastic for the back: approximate elastic measurement: 12-18 months: 8 1/4″ (21 cm) / 18-24 months 8 5/8” (22 cm) / 2-3 years 9” (23 cm) / 3-4 years 9 1/2″ (24 cm)
You can also make the pinafore dress with any of our denim or poplin fabrics. Due to this being a basic pattern, you have a wide choice of fabrics that you can sew this pinafore with.
Video tutorial for a little girl’s pinafore dress
- Use the semi-transparent paper to trace around the pattern pieces.
- When the pattern pieces are ready, cut the pieces out in the chosen fabric.
- Iron the armhole bias strips into three parts. Sew the bias strips around the front armholes, with the right sides of the fabric facing together. Turn the strips inwards, fold along the seam line and top stitch in place on the right side of the garment.
- Cut the tape for the straps. Mount the straps on the right side of the fabric and stitch in place. Iron the upper seam of 3/8” (1 cm) towards the wrong side of the garment. Next, cut a piece of herringbone tape the same width as the neckline and sew to the recently sewn hem to neaten the edge.
- Make the hem along the upper edge of the back following the pattern markings. Pass the elastic through, using a safety pin, and fit to the required measurement. Take care to secure the ends of elastic in place with a few stitches.
- Join the front and back of the pinafore with the right sides of the fabric facing together. Lockstitch the side seams and neaten the seam edges so they do not unravel.
- Make a double hem and one buttonhole at the end of each strap.
- Sew the two buttons onto the back of the pinafore dress.
- To finish, make a double hem along the lower edge of the dress. Your pinafore dress is now ready to be worn.
Continue learning something new en each one of the Katia Fabrics tutorial on our Youtube channel.