This summer, you simply cannot miss out on a bag to go to the beach or the swimming pool with among your sewing projects. This is a simple and quick project to put together, and best of all, it will be made by you.
Furthermore, you can have the beach bag ready in an afternoon thanks to the free pattern and step by step video tutorial that we are sharing with you to easily print at home. This is an easy level pattern that shows how to make a lined bag with pockets. It also includes the instructions to sew a small toiletry bag with a zipper, ideal for storing small items at the beach or pool.
This beach bag is ideal for sewing with our recycled Recycled Canvas fabrics by Katia Fabrics. Choose your own colour combination, from the 12 available colours, and enjoy using your new beach bag.
Recycled Canvas, 100% recycled
Recycled Canvas is a rustic canvas-type fabric. It is natural, soft and resistant and made from pre-consumer plastic bottles and recycled cotton. This 100% recycled fabric is certified with the Global Recycled Standard (GRS). Due to the manufacturing process it undergoes, it has a lower environmental impact compared to more conventional canvas fabrics.
How to sew a tote bag
We have used 4 of the 12 different colours available in this sustainable canvas fabric to make the beach bag. To be exact, we have used the Recycled Canvas in Spring-Green-Leaf, Cherry-Red, Cayenne and Aqua.
To follow, we show you details of the materials and tools that you will need to sew the bag. Moreover, thanks to this step-by-step tutorial, it will be extremely easy for you to sew this summery bag. The instructions include the pattern to sew the bag, and in addition, a simple zippered toiletry bag.
It is important to wash and iron the fabrics before starting to work with them.
- Cotton tape for the straps: 1 1/8” (3 cm) wide x 55 1/8” (140 cm) long (2 straps x 27 1/2″ (70 cm)
- Sewing thread to match the fabric
- Thermo-adhesive interlining
- Foam base or wadding
- Usual sewing tools: (Scissors, pins, measuring tape, iron, sewing machine, etc.)
- For the toiletry bag:
- 1 x 7” (18 cm) long zipper
- Strip to join the toiletry bag to the beach bag.
Before starting to sew, print the PDF sewing pattern, assemble the pattern pieces and carefully read all the instructions.
Once you have cut out your pattern pieces with the corresponding pattern markings, we are going to start sewing.
- All pieces include a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance. Therefore, the fabric pieces are cut out along the edges of the pattern pieces.
- If you are a beginner, it may help if you baste each seam before sewing it on the sewing machine.
- Overlockor work in zig-zag stitch around the edges of all the fabric pieces to avoid the fabric unraveling.
Carefully follow all the steps in the instructions and you will have this fantastic beach bag ready in much less time than you can imagine.
Step by step instructions
- Cut out the pieces of the bag in the chosen colours. Cut out the interlining for the facing and the wadding for the base of the bag too.
- Making the toiletry bag:
- Insert the zip, with the right sides facing together, along the upper edges of the toiletry bag. Place the lining on top so the right side is facing the right side of the fabric. Pin in place and sew with a zipper foot.
- Open the toiletry bag so that the lining is facing the lining and the outside facing the outside. The zipper should be in the center. Place the toiletry bag strip on top of one of the sides of the outer fabric. Sew along the edge leaving an opening in the lining to turn the toiletry bag out to the right side.
- Turn the toiletry bag out to the right side through the opening in the lining and then sew the opening closed with a few hand stitches or on the sewing machine.
- Prepare the lining: secure the toiletry bag strip to one side of the lining.
Making the bag:
- Apply the interfacing to the upper part, to reinforce the bag facing.
- Sew the upper pocket hem, iron the seams inwards and top-stitch one part of the outer piece.
- Join the sides and lower edge of the outer bag pieces, with the right sides facing together, and sew with a straight stitch. Do the same with the lining pieces, leaving a 5 7/8” (15 cm) opening to turn the bag out to the right side.
- Close the corners to make the base of the bag, with the right sides of the fabric facing together. Apply the foam base and sew it to the base. Sew the lining piece in the same manner.
- Insert the lining inside the bag, with the right sides facing together.Join the lining and the bag along the upper edge, pin and sew with a straight stitch around the top edge.
- Turn the bag out to the right side through the opening in the lining. Fold and iron the facing inwards. Sew the handles in place indicated on the pattern.
- To finish, stitch the opening in the lining closed.
- Optional: Sew on a snap fastener to close the bag.
We hope you enjoy using your bag and that we can see your versions using the hashtag #katiafabrics.
Learn to sew bags
If you want to sew more accessories, we want to remind you about the free resources available at katia.com.
Step by step instructions to sew a bucket bag
Learn to sew a caramel bag