We were not sure whether to do this face mask tutorial, we had many doubts since we have received many opinions about it of all kinds. But we believe that if something can help someone, it will already have been worth it. At first, we did not want to do it, but at your requests, we have created a tutorial of homemade fabric mask (non-sanitary) that we hope will be useful and easy to do. You can make the version of the mask with an opening to place an extra layer of TNT fabric filter and a wire to adjust in the nose as we explain in this other tutorial where we also give you the measurements for adults.
First of all, you should know and follow the following recommendations given by the WHO (World Health Organization) when using any type of mask:
When to wear a mask
- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are caring for someone suspected of having COVID-19 infection.
- Also wear a mask if you have a cough or sneeze.
- Masks are only effective if combined with frequent hand washing with a hydroalcoholic solution or soap and water.
- If you need to wear a mask, learn how to use and remove it correctly.
How to put on, wear, take off and discard a mask
- Before putting on a mask, wash your hands with an alcohol-based disinfectant or soap and water.
- Cover your mouth and nose with the mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while wearing it; if you do, wash your hands with an alcohol-based disinfectant or soap and water.
- Change your mask as soon as it is wet and do not reuse single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of the mask); immediately dispose of it in a closed container, and wash your hands with an alcohol-based disinfectant or soap and water.
How to wash, disinfect and reuse the mask
1. Wash and disinfect the masks with normal detergent and water at a temperature between 60º-90º (normal washing machine cycle).
2. Immerse the masks in a 1:50 bleach dilution with warm water for 30 minutes. Later wash with soap and water and rinse well to remove any remaining bleach and allow it to dry.
How to sew a face mask
We have used two fabrics that surely you all have at home and that can be washed afterward at 60º.
Fabric A: 100% Cotton (poplin): Capri Mermaid Poplin Fabric
Fabric B: Vichy (65% Cotton – 35% Polyester): Pink Sand
- Elastic band, 5cm wide: 2 strips of 16 cm
- 2 scraps of 22cm x 17 cm
It is important that the fabrics are washed and ironed to start working with them. The pattern already has included a 0.5 cm seam allowance.
- Thread and needle
- Tape measure
- Sewing Machine
Step by step tutorial
- To make this easy face mask, cut the pattern shape once in fabric A and once in fabric B.
- Sew the elastic at each end of one of the rectangles. Put the two pieces sides together and sew round the entire outline leaving a 7cm opening at the bottom.
- Turn rights sides out and pull out the corners well. Iron.
- Fold each short side twice (1.5 cm each fold) in such a way that the width of our fabric is now 9 cm.
- Help yourself with the step by step video tutorial to sew the mask.