Do you like to give your home a handmade touch, but don’t have much free time? Have you still not taken the plunge to try knitting and crocheting? If your answers are affirmative, take a look at this decorative idea from Minireyve and unleash your creativity with a few balls of Katia yarn. Evelyne Bisson is the face behind Minireyve, a Parisian mum who is passionate about Do it Yourself, retro decoration, fashion and design. In this Craft Lover, Evelyne shows us how to make a tapestry wall hanging without a loom using Katia Big Alabama. Voilá! This quick and easy project is suitable for the whole family and gives a really beautiful and elegant result. Don’t you think?
Materials. To make this tapestry wall hanging in no time at all, you need 3 balls of Katia Big Alabama in the colour combination of your choice (discover the range of 28 colours here), a stick of wood which you can find whilst taking a stroll through a park or wooded area (it’s not necessary to cut a branch from a tree), a few wooden or plastic beads and some scissors.
DIY Tapestry Wall Hanging without a loom by Minireyve
- Clean the piece of driftwood.
- Cut strands of yarn between 23 5/8” (60 cm) and 31 1/2” (80 cm) in length.
- Fold a strand of pink yarn in half and wrap it around the piece of wood. Repeat 40 times with 40 strands of yarn.
- Change colour and wrap 6 strands of green yarn at each side of the pink yarns.
- Add 6 strands in the third colour beige at each side.
- Make a space in the centre to enable a central knot to be added.
- Using the same method as done with the other strands of yarn, wrap a number of green yarns around the driftwood to make a large central knot.
- Thread the pearls through the central strands and make knots to secure them in place.
- Cut the strands of yarn in the form of a point using scissors. It’s done!